Pedestrians Hit by Cars May Be Entitled to a Financial Settlement
When a pedestrian is hit by a car in West Covina, they may be entitled to a financial settlement as a result of the accident. A pedestrian accident can be devastating not just to the victim, but to their family. This sort of tragic accident can cause serious, life changing injuries or even death. A family can be left without their sole provider. Children can be left without their parent. You could become permanently paralyzed and require a lifetime of therapy, medical care, and a permanent disability.
Types of Compensation
When determining the amount of compensation a pedestrian hit by a car can receive, the court will look at a number of factors, including:
- the severity of the injury,
- the life changes experienced by the pedestrian, and
- the costs for medical care because of the accident.
Pedestrians may be entitled to financial compensation for their bills for emergency medical care, ambulance bills, medical care, lost wages, temporary and permanent disability, rehab expenses, and even pain and suffering. For accident victims who die, their families may be entitled to funeral expenses as well as loss of companionship and future financial support through a wrongful death claim. Learn more about whether you may be able to bring a wrongful death claim on behalf of your loved one here.
California Right of Way Laws for Pedestrians
There are quite a few right of way laws for California pedestrians. To summarize a few of the laws:
- Pedestrians in California have the right of way when they are using a cross-walk, whether marked or unmarked at an intersection.
- Both pedestrians and drivers of vehicles should take proper care to protect the pedestrian. For pedestrians, this can include using what is known as due care (for instance, you shouldn’t try to beat a vehicle into the intersection). For vehicles, they should reduce their rate of speed.
- Other drivers should not attempt to go around a vehicle that is stopped because a pedestrian is in a cross-walk.
What this means is that in many instances, pedestrians have the right of way. If you were hit by a negligent driver, you may have a legal claim.
Talk to a Qualified California Attorney Right Away
If you’re involved in an auto pedestrian accident in West Covina, you should first get medical care and then seek out the guidance of an experienced accident attorney. These cases are time sensitive and an experienced attorney can help you protect your legal rights. For a free, no obligation consultation, contact the experienced accident lawyers at Ghozland Law Firm today.