How Is Fault Determined in a California Car Accident?
California is considered a "fault" state when it comes to car accidents. When a car accident occurs and a claim is filed, the insurance companies involved look at the facts and then decide who caused the accident. Fault can be assigned to one or both parties. For example, one driver may be found 65% at fault while the other driver is 35% at fault. How much fault a person has for an accident affects whether they will be eligible for financial compensation and how much they may receive. So, how is fault determined in a California car accident?
The Insurance Adjuster Determines Fault in California Car Accidents
When a car accident happens anywhere in California, at least one of the drivers generally calls the police. In some cases, the police shows up at the scene and takes a report. The report details the accident and what the officer observed at the scene. The officer may also issue one or more tickets if they believe that a driver broke the law in some way. The drivers are given a report number so that they, or their attorney, may request a copy of the report when it is ready.
Next, many drivers call their insurance companies to report the accident. The insurance companies will assign an insurance adjuster to handle a specific claim. The insurance adjuster talks to the parties involved, reviews medical bills and records related to claimed injuries, and reviews the police report. The adjuster will use all of this information to issue a report on who they believe is at fault for the accident.
Call a California Car Accident Lawyer After Your Accident
Don’t rely on the insurance company to do the right thing. As we have discussed before, most insurance companies are out for themselves and looking at their bottom line. Call a Los Angeles car accident lawyer to talk about your potential claim and to have someone looking out for your best interests and protecting your legal rights.
For a free, no obligation consultation, contact the experienced accident attorneys at Ghozland Law Firm today.