No one expects to get into a car accident. But being prepared in case one happens is a great way to ease anxiety and ensure your recovery is as smooth as possible. Read on for some tips to keep in mind before and after a car accident in Los Angeles.
How do make sure you are prepared in the case of an auto accident or other road emergency?
– Keep a safety kit, with first-aid and safety equipment, in the car.
– Keep important documents, such as your insurance documents, car registration, emergency numbers, and a pen and notepad, where you can find them.
– Finally, keep your cell phone charged or have a back up charger. If you are stuck on the side of the road without a phone nearby, you want to make sure you have access to your insurance company and loved ones without fear of your phone batteries failing.
Best Practices After an Auto Accident
Immediately after you or a loved one are involved in an auto accident, it is important that you take a few key steps.
– Move to a safer area if possible, and stop your vehicle.
– Check to make sure it’s safe to get out, then do so.
– Check on the other passengers and drivers involved. Refrain from making comments such as, “I’m sorry I did this,” “This is your fault,” or “This is my fault.” Focus on safety and well-being.
– Call the police. Even in minor accidents, a police report can still be useful. Allow the police to decide for themselves who, if anyone, was at fault.
Document as much information as possible, such as driver and passenger names, insurance information, license information, location of the accident, makes and models of all vehicles involved, and whether there are any witnesses. Take photos of the accident scene with your phone or camera.
Moving Forward Post Auto Accident
Once the immediate trauma of being involved in an auto accident has died down, consider taking these steps.
– File an insurance claim. But be careful not to sign anything until you speak with a knowledgeable accident lawyer.
– Find an experienced auto accident attorney. If you have been involved in an accident and sustained serious injuries and/or your car has incurred serious damage, you may want to consult an attorney specializing in car accident claims. You may be unsure whether you have a claim for damages. You may have a claim if the accident was partially caused by another person’s negligence and the accident caused you or a family member to suffer serious physical injuries.
Financial Recovery from a Car Accident
An auto attorney in Los Angeles can help you recover money for lost wages, for past and future medical bills, and for pain and suffering. The right attorney can also advise you on what to do when the insurance company calls you about the insurance claim. The company will likely interview you about what happened, and they could take your statements and use them against you. It is best to avoid speaking with the insurance company while you consult with an attorney, if possible, or simply limit what you tell the insurance company. The insurance company could also pressure you into signing a settlement agreement for an amount that is less than you deserve or less than what you would otherwise be entitled to a recover. Consulting with an attorney early about your case could save time, energy, and money.
For a free, no obligation consultation, contact the experienced attorneys at Ghozland Law Firm today.