Earlier this year, a new California traffic law went into effect. This law was intended to battle the increase in distracted driving accidents and reduce the number of these accidents. Under the new law, drivers are no longer able to drive with their cellphone in their hand for any reason. If a driver needs to use their phone, it must be done in a way that is completely hands-free. Ostensibly, it will be easier for police to now recognize drivers who are unlawfully using their phones.
Distracted Driving in California Causes 80% of Car Accidents
Distracted driving causes serious injuries and even death. A recent study from the California Office of Traffic Safety shows that 80% of California car accidents occur as a result of distracted driving. But distracted driving is more than just texting or Snapchatting and driving. Other examples of distracted driving include:
- Turning around to talk to a child in the backseat
- Eating while driving
- Putting on makeup while driving
- Checking your social networks while at a stop sign or light
This list is not exhaustive. If you or a loved one has been injured by a distracted driver, contact an accident attorney about your legal rights and potential for financial recovery.
Involved in a Car Accident with a Distracted Driver? Follow These Steps
If you’re involved in a car accident, you will want to take a number of steps.
- Call the police. The police may come to the scene of the accident and take a report and/or issue citations as necessary.
- Exchange insurance information with the other driver.
- Take pictures and photo the scene and any damage to your car,
- Seek medical care. Some injuries do not show up until after your body has had a chance to calm down.
- File your claim with your insurance company.
- Contact a lawyer. Before accepting any settlement or signing anything the insurance company gives you, speak with legal counsel. You don’t want to sign away your right to recover the financial compensation you deserve.
Call a Los Angeles Car Accident Attorney
Reach out to an experienced Los Angeles car accident attorney right away. If you wait too long, the statute of limitations may pass and you may not be able to file a lawsuit to recover the financial compensation you rightfully deserve. For a free consultation regarding your next steps, contact the accident attorneys at Ghozland Law Firm today.