In California, wrongful death lawsuits are brought on behalf of the deceased individual. If your loved one was killed by another person’s or business’s negligence, such as a defective product or a reckless bus driver, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim seeking financial compensation for your loss. Financial recovery can include lost wages from the deceased, lost companionship, and funeral expenses.
Causes of Wrongful Deaths
Wrongful death claims involve all types of fatal accidents, from two-automobile car accidents to complicated medical malpractice or product liability cases. Persons, companies, and governmental agencies can be legally at fault for either negligently or intentionally causing your loved one’s death. An experienced wrongful death attorney must be comfortable going up against the largest corporations and government entities to fight for your legal rights.
Who may potentially bring a wrongful death lawsuit? This list includes:
- Immediate family members – such as spouses and children (including adopted children) and parents of unmarried children.
- Life partners, financial dependents, and putative spouses.
- Distant family members – including brothers, sisters, and grandparents
This list is not exhaustive and each state has its own laws regarding wrongful death claims. Speak with a wrongful death attorney to determine whether you can bring a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of your loved one.
What Can I Recover in a Wrongful Death Claim?
State law defines the amount of money you may be able to recover for your loss. Factors the court considers includes:
- Mental pain and suffering of survivors.
- Medical and support services from the date of the victim’s injury to his or her death.
- Funeral costs.
- Lost parental companionship, protection, and nurturing for surviving minor children.
- Expected earnings of the victim from the time of death to retirement age.
- Loss of employment-related benefits (pension, medical coverage, etc.).
To discuss your legal rights, contact our experienced wrongful death lawyers. We have recovered millions of dollars for our clients, including those who have suffered the loss of a loved one due to someone else’s negligence. For a free, no obligation consultation, reach out to the lawyers at Ghozland Law Firm today.