If you’ve been in a auto accident, you may be wondering what you should do next. Those who experience a collision often feel confused and anxious from the unexpected event. Fortunately, a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer from the Ghozland Law Firm is readily available to guide you through the difficult process.
What to Do After a Car Accident
What should I do following an accident?
Immediately following a car accident, there are a number steps that you should to make sure that you are in the best position to recover all of your damages.
- Obtain medical care. If anyone is hurt, then dial 911 for an emergency response team. They will be able to assist you with any injuries. Even if you don’t feel injured, you should still go see a doctor, because many physical issues are not readily apparent. A trained medical professional can check for hidden injuries like whiplash or brain trauma that can only be seen through an x-ray, CT scan, or other tests.
- Notify the police. While some may not want to call the police because they do not want to involve insurance companies, the police can help everyone keep calm and make sure the proper information is exchanged. In addition, police reports are seen as trustworthy documents by the insurance companies, should there be any disputes between your testimony and the other driver’s statement. The police officer in charge of the scene should automatically note the other driver’s information in the official report, all of which you will need when filing a claim. If you are questioned by the police or the driver, please do not place blame or admit fault for the accident. Wait until you confer with your lawyer before making a statement.
- Document the details. If you have a camera on hand, make sure that you take pictures of both cars and the accident scene. This will help provide visual evidence if your claims are disputed. Also, make sure to obtain the other driver’s full name, phone number, address, and insurance information. You will need the other person’s insurance company name and policy number, in addition to the make, model, and license plate number of the other car. If you can, get the name and badge number of the police officer in case future problems.
- Call an attorney. Before taking further action, call an attorney from our firm that can guide you through the claims process. Our team can help you get the right documentation that demonstrates the fair amount of compensation you should be receiving. This includes car damages, medical injuries, and even emotional pain and suffering. Insurance companies often try to settle for less that the correct amount, so hiring an attorney can provide the support you need! Persons that experience major injuries should especially consider a lawyer, as you will most likely need medical testimony to support your claim.
- Contact the insurance company. After consulting with your legal representation, call the insurance company and provide them with the details of the accident. Again, do not admit fault or place blame on any party. You should also send a written statement so that the insurance company cannot deny the contact.
Please note that those who are trying to recover damages from an injury have two years after the accident occurs to file their claim.
How does the insurance process work for a car accident claim?
Once you contact the insurance company and inform them of your accident, a representative of the company should respond within a few days. The representative, also known as a claims adjuster, will get in touch with you so he or she can obtain more details about the accident. The adjuster may come to your home and take photos of your car and inspect it for damages, then ask you to take it to one of the company’s approved auto shops for an assessment. In order to get information about your medical bills, the insurance representative will probably ask who your medical provider is. Be prepared to give them this type of information.
You can also expect the adjuster to get a copy of the official police report, talk to the other driver and other witnesses in their investigation. All of these components will help the representative get an idea of how much you are entitled to and if your policy covers all the damages. The claims adjuster should then make a settlement offer, which will specify how much the insurance company will pay. If the claim is not enough to pay your damages then you and your attorney can pursue the case further. You do not need to accept a settlement offer from the insurance company on the first try because you have other options. You could notify the adjuster’s supervisor, who may then look into your claim and send a new settlement. If this doesn’t work, then you can also take your case to court. An attorney at our firm is more than competent to file a lawsuit against an insurance company. Our legal team is dedicated to making sure that you are treated fairly.
Benefits of Hiring the Best Car Accident Lawyer in Los Angeles
If you were injured in a car accident, then it is absolutely necessary for you to obtain legal counsel for a lawyer. You need the top personal injury attorney for your case in Los Angeles if you want the best chance of success. Insurance companies are notorious for trying to settle for less than their clients deserve. Our legal team can not only assist you in making a solid claim, but can protect you against insurance companies that don’t want to give you the compensation you deserve. We take care of all negotiations, so you don’t have to be burdened by any legal matters.
For over a decade, the Ghozland Law Firm has been helping clients obtain the compensation they deserve from their injury! If you’ve been hurt by another person in any way, it is only just that the individual reimburses you. Our legal team has been able to obtain tens of thousands of dollars for clients who were in car accidents caused by another. Even if you believe you may have been partially at-fault, contact our firm. We are committed to returning client calls with 24 hours, so call us at (213) 817-9957 or fill out a free case evaluation to get started!